If I used to be a 1099 employee, can my old employer hold my pay when I quit without notice?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I used to be a 1099 employee, can my old employer hold my pay when I quit without notice?

Can I request my pay sooner being that I’ve already worked those days or do I need to wait until next payroll?

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your ex-employer can not hold your paycheck. Employers have a reasonable time to pay you your final check, generally, it is up to 30 days. Common practice is to pay by the next pay day. You can always request to be paid sooner, but your ex-employer is under no obligation to do so, unless your state specifically has requirements for a shorter period of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption