What to do if I unknowingly used a copyrighted picture as the background of my small pet sitting business website?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I unknowingly used a copyrighted picture as the background of my small pet sitting business website?

I received a regular USPS letter from an attorney stating that whether I took down the picture or not I am required to pay a large sum immediately. I don’t have that kind of money. Is that legal and do I have to pay the amount they requested?

Asked on October 11, 2014 under Business Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The attorney is right.  Under the Fair Use doctrine, even taking it down immediately does not mean you can not be hit with a suit and a fine.  I would spend your money wisely here and seek legal help in negotiating the matter.  It is a very expensive lesson learned.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption