If I am still under the doctors care, what date will apply for filing a medical malpractice claim?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am still under the doctors care, what date will apply for filing a medical malpractice claim?

I understand the statute of limitations in my state is 2 years. It has been 14 months but I am still under the doctors care. What date will apply?

Asked on September 7, 2010 under Malpractice Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Medical malpractice claims, as a general matter, run from when the malpractice was committed--e.g. from the missed diagnosis, bad surgery, wrong prescription, mistaken test results, etc. Note however that if you are *still* going to a doctor whom you believe committed malpractice against you, you are badly undercutting your case--the doctor's attorney will put you on the stand and ask why, if you think the doctor injured you and practiced medicine so badly as to  be malpractice, did  you keep going to him (or her). If you believe you may have a malpractice case, consult with an attorney immediately and make sure to ask if, under these circumstances, your case is credible; and if it still is, whether you should switch doctors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption