i travel and work in cali. is their a required amount my company has to pay me for meals . travel is required

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i travel and work in cali. is their a required amount my company has to pay me for meals . travel is required

Im only being payed 35.00 a day for meals when i travail for work i see that the
amount of 74.00 is standard rate for California if working in San Francisco. Are
they required by law to pay a set amount.

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Actually, there is no legal right or entitlement to a per diem or other daily allowance or payment (e.g. for meals) when an employee travels; it is purely voluntary for an employee to provide any sort of per diem payment and they would be free to pay you nothing above and beyond your regular wages or salary. Since it is voluntary for them to pay, they can pay you anything they want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption