What to do if I took some pictures of myself that I’m not proud of and they were posted online without my consent?

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I took some pictures of myself that I’m not proud of and they were posted online without my consent?

They got into the wrong hands and were posted online without my knowledge. Someone close to me found them! I was wondering, copyright is active right when you create a work, but I only recently filed for a registration number and certificate. After I discovered the photos online. I was planning on using the registration number to get the webmaster of the site to take them off, but it takes the copyright office 3-5 months to process an application. Can I take any action against the webmaster for keeping my pictures up or is my only option to wait for the copyright? I want them off as soon as possible.

Asked on February 3, 2014 under Personal Injury, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, I would consult with an attorney experienced in copyright law in your community to send an immediate demand letter to the webmaster to remove the offensive photos from the site. If there is no immediate  removal, legal action can be threatened. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption