What to do if an urgent care facility refused my husband treatment due to his inability to pay?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an urgent care facility refused my husband treatment due to his inability to pay?

I took my husband to an urgent care facility at 3 am because he had an abscess under his arm the size of a golf ball which was causing severe pain and fever. The facility checked him in and once they found out that we weren’t able to pay they refuse care and sent him home. Although, they have signs posted in the lobby that they aren’t able refuse care for non-payment.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country an emergency room or an urgent care facility cannot legally refuse to treat a patient due to lack of funds. In the situation that you have written about what was done was improper. I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney practicing in the area of health care law as well as making a complaint with your state's medical association as to the facility that your husband was turned away from.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption