I took money from my employer and turned myself in to police. haven’t been charged yet, it’s been over a week. have gambling issue. what can I expect?

UPDATED: May 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I took money from my employer and turned myself in to police. haven’t been charged yet, it’s been over a week. have gambling issue. what can I expect?

Asked on May 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You didn't give much by way of specifics.  However the fact that you turned yourself in is in your favor.  But before this goes any further you need to speak with an attorney.  If money is an issue, you should contact legal aid or your public defender's office.

Your attorney will help in possibly getting any charges against you reduced.  He/she could conceivably get the charges against you dropped perhaps if you were to make restitution and your employer declines to press the charges.  If this is a first offense you might be eligible for "diversion".  This is where an individual has to make some form of restitution and typically undergo treatment if there is an underlying problem which caused you yo commit the crime (here, your gambling); also community service might be imposed.  If you comply with all terms and don't get into anymore trouble during this period of diversion, you can end up with a clean criminal record. 

As you can see, there are many possibilities as to what you can expect.  You have made a good start.  You have owned up to your actions.  Now let an attorney help you sort this all out.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption