If I suspect my employee of stealing, can I fire her immediately?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I suspect my employee of stealing, can I fire her immediately?

And do I have to pay upon termination or can I pay on scheduled payroll date?

Asked on August 16, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Vermont


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is an employment contract or union agreement prohibiting this employee's immediate dismisal or doing so would violate company policy, you can terminate this worker ASAP. Additionally, their discharge must not constitute some form of emplyment discrimination or retaliation. The fact is that in an "at will" employment situation, an employer can discharge an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

As for when to pay this employee, each state has it own rules on this. In VT, when an employee is fired, they must reveive their paycheck within 72 hours of their firing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption