If I started my current position 6 months ago but as of today I still have not received my benefits, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I started my current position 6 months ago but as of today I still have not received my benefits, what can I do?

I had a 90 day probation period and I am long overdue to receive my benefits. What Can I do at this point I’ve ask the person in charge about when I will receive my benefits but she never replies back and for a fact I know she is avoiding talking to me about it. At this point I really need to see a dentist; my tooth has been hurting for the longest time and I’ve been waiting for my benefits to come along so I can go in.I don’t think this is fair on how I am being treated with benefits. Can I sue them for this ?

Asked on June 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If under the terms of your employment or your employer's policies, you should have received your benefits by now, then yes, you could sue--either to recover costs you had to pay out of pocket, which you should not have had to pay (e.g. if you went for medical care and paid yourself) or for a court order seeking to direct them to provide benefits. Before going that route, however, have to you tried to talking to a superior or more senior manager/executive of the person who has not provided your beneifts? You may be able to resolve this without litigation by going "over the head" of the person who is causing the problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption