What to do if f I sold a car to a friend but placed a lien on it for my protection and now they’re 3 months behind?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if f I sold a car to a friend but placed a lien on it for my protection and now they’re 3 months behind?

How do I repo the vehicle? Can just go and pick the vehicle up? What are my legal options?

Asked on December 27, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The legal recourse that you may have for the lien that you have on the vehicle you have written about depends upon what the terms for the lien states. As such, you need to carefully read the lien to see what you can do. Ordinarily typical automotive liens allow for a delinquent borrower to lose the vehicle in a repossession. I suggest that you consult further with a consumer law attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption