If I slipped and fell on ice on a walkway near our parking lot and broke my ankle, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Feb 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I slipped and fell on ice on a walkway near our parking lot and broke my ankle, what are my rights?

I now need surgery and will be out of work for 6 months. The apartment manager has not called me back now after 3 phone calls. How do I get partial disability and how do I protect myself financially?

Asked on February 27, 2015 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unless you purchased disability insurance or your employer provides it, you would not receive "partial disability"--there is no general disability insurance or coverage out there for people who are injured.

If you believe that the building was at fault in that 1) they controlled that walkway (i.e. they owned or rented that land), 2) they knew or should have known there was ice (they would only be at fault if they had some reason to take action), and 3) despite having known of the ice, they failed, despite having enough time/opportunity to do something, to take any action, then you could sue them for negligence and try to recover medical costs and lost wages. You should speak with a personal injury attorney about the situation, to evaluate if you have a case and what it might be worth. Note however that even if you can sue them to recover medical costs, that is *reimbursement* of medical expenses--you will have to initially pay your medical bills to the extent they are not paid by health/medical insurance or medicare/medicaid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption