If I slipped and fell in a store and broke my ankle, can I sue for personal injury?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I slipped and fell in a store and broke my ankle, can I sue for personal injury?

They said that there was no reason for me to slip and fall but yet I did.

Asked on December 22, 2013 under Personal Injury, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can only recover for personal injury if the store was negligent in some way and that is what caused you to fall.  For example, if the store employee has spilled something and failed to clean it up or post a warning and you slipped on the spill, then the store would be negligent.  But if you just tripped over your own feet, you have no basis for a slip-and-fall lawsuit against the store.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption