If I slipped and fell in a casino but reside in another state, in which state should I retain a lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I slipped and fell in a casino but reside in another state, in which state should I retain a lawyer?

I have a picture of the scene. I was taken by ambulance to local hospital and was there for 9 hours in the ER and had several X-rays.

Asked on December 29, 2015 under Personal Injury, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You would need to sue in the state where the accident occured, since that is the state with a connection to the cause of action--i.e. the state where the casino is in. Bear in mind that unless the casino was at fault in causing your fall--that is, there was an unsafe condition, such as a loose stair or stair railing; a frayed carpet you tripped on; water on the floor which had been there long enough that reasonably, they should have mopped it up; etc.--they would not be liable. Liability is based on fault; the mere fact that you fell on their premises does not, without more, make them liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption