If I signed an uncontested settlement to pay

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed an uncontested settlement to pay

I signed uncontested 2007 Georgia Divorce settlement agreement that reads:

Asked on January 15, 2019 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An settlement agreement you signed is essentially a contract between you and your ex-spouse. Like any other contract, the courts will not change it for you--the law holds you to what you agreed to, even if the passage or time or changes in facts (e.g. the ridiculous rise in college costs) makes the agreement no longer a good idea for you. Courts simply do not (as NJ law, for example, puts it, "make a better contract for a party than the one to which that party agreed") allow you to escape the agreement you made. The only way to modify a settlement to which you agreed is with the voluntary agreement of the other party (your ex-spouse); you cannot review it with a judicial review.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption