What to do about an education contract that I signed with my employer?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an education contract that I signed with my employer?

I signed an education contract with my work stating they would “loan” me my tuition to attend their online school as long as I completed my degree and stayed with them for 2 years afterwards. The company was recently acquired by another institution. Can they still hold me to my original contract and require me to pay back the “loan” if I choose to stop attending the school?

Asked on September 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are still obligated under your educational contract with the new company that acquired the company that you are in contract with depends upon what the terms of your contract states. As such you need to carefully read your contract to see if it applies to you and the former employer or an "assignee".

I suggest that you consult with a business attorney further about your matter and to have him or her review your contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption