What to do if I signed a marketing agreement for a business advisor to help me sell my business but after a week tried to cancel?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I signed a marketing agreement for a business advisor to help me sell my business but after a week tried to cancel?

I sent a certified letter. I read the fine print of the agreement and ran it past my business partner who did not sign it and saw that it contained things that we did not talk about or agree upon. He said that he would cancel but I never received anything back. He never did anything. He said he contacted his lawyer and that they think that I have a buyer and I don’t want to pay a commission, that my business partner can sue me and that I could just deny any offers that he brings. I don’t know what to do now. I want to sell my business but feel like this guy will try to get a piece of it even though he has never done anything.

Asked on November 7, 2013 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If  you signed the agreement, you could only cancel it:

1) if the agreement itself contains some cancellation clause, term, or provision, and only if you follow whatever its requirements are; 

2) it the advisor lied  to you in some way, or otherwise committed fraud  (made a knowing misrepresentation) to get you to sign; or

3) if the advisor himself breaches (violates) the agreement in some material (significant or important) way.

Otherwise, you would typically be held to the terms of whatever you signed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption