I signed a letter of intent to start a new job in 2 weeks but do not want to start, am I obligated to pay the agencey fee?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I signed a letter of intent to start a new job in 2 weeks but do not want to start, am I obligated to pay the agencey fee?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If due to your signing the letter of intent, the employer was obligated to itself pay the agency fee, then yes, they could seek reimbursement of that fee from you. In that instance, you made a representation to them which they reasonably relied upon in incurring that fee; their reasonable reliance on your representation (your written statement you would take the job) makes your promise to them to take the job enforceable; and once the promise is enforceable, they may seek compensation from you for any costs they incur directly due to your breach of said promise.

(Alternately, if the letter of intent met the test to be considered an actual contract, they could enforce the contract against you to the same effect.)


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption