How to evict a roommate?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to evict a roommate?

One of our roomates has not paid rent in the last 2 months. When the lease was renewed last month he refused to be listed on the lease. At that time we asked him to leave the house. He said he would but of course never did. He has done damage to the property and we suspect him of theft and drug use. We have called the police multiple times but they have told us there is nothing they can do. Can we change the locks, put locks on the bathrooms, anything at all even just to inconvenience him? We would really love to have him evicted, but it seems like noone knows what to do. Everyone we have asked for advice so far, including the clerk at the court house doesn’t have the answer.

Asked on October 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since your roommate was on the lease the was executed with your landlord at one point but no longer is, he is what is known as a "holdover tenant". Accordingly, it is up to your landlord to file an unlawful detainer (i.e. eviction lawsuit). He has standing to go to court; you and you other roommates do not. In the meantime, take no "self-help" measures against him such as changing the locks, etc. He could take legal action against you if you do.

At this point you should speak with an attorney who specilizes ni landlord-tenant matters or at least get some more information from a tenant's rights group if there is one in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption