How to I get title to a trailer for which I have paid off the loan?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to I get title to a trailer for which I have paid off the loan?

Last year I paid off a recreational loan at a bank and was waiting on a title. So I went to the bank and they said I owed money still; they printed a report for me. It seems like 2 months after I paid it off, they put a service charge on the account and it put the loan into recovery (repo). Since this time I have traded this trailer and can’t get a title. Now I’m going through a divorce and it needs to be settled. I cant get any answers out of the bank so I may need to sue. The person that has the trailer now can not put insurance on it because of this mess.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you see an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law about your matter for assistance and guidance. It might come down to the point where you pay off what needs to be paid off to clear the service charge as to the loan so that the new owner can get good title to the trailer. Once done, you then sue the bank for the amount that you paid it to get good title for the person who now owns the trailer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption