What can be done about a postal employee forging their spouse’s signature on a certified letter that was sent to them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about a postal employee forging their spouse’s signature on a certified letter that was sent to them?

I sent a letter certified and so that only the person who I addressed it to could receive it and they had to show an ID to get it. However the person married to them works at the post office where they live and forged their signature and took it. What can I do about this legally?

Asked on December 19, 2015 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the fact that the spouse intercepted the letter in this way cost you money in some fashion, you could sue him for the money. If you did not suffer an actual loss, you have no basis for a lawsuit, but could report the matter to supervisors at this post office or at a regional postal center, and/or to the postal police (a police force that is part of the post office), who may take action against the employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption