If I resigned from my position 1 week ago, when does my employer have to pay me?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I resigned from my position 1 week ago, when does my employer have to pay me?

I furnished a formal letter of resignation. I was an employee-at-will with no contractual obligation to furnish a 2 week notice. When does my employer have to pay me the the monies he owes me and is he allowed to deduct out of my check for any reason? I was a salaried employee.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The MA Payment of Wages Act requires that an employee who leaves employment voluntarily is owed theirfinal paycheck on the next regular pay period. This paycheck must also include pay for any accrued but unused vacation.

As for paycheck deductions, unless there was a prior agreement (i.e. union/employment contract) or existing company policy providing for this, such deductions cannot be made. If an employee owes an employer money, an employer can either ask the employee for payment or take the employee to court to recoup any monies owed.

At this point you can contact the MA Attorney General's Office for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption