If I reported a sexual harassment against a fellow employee and I was subsequently fired, do I have a case?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I reported a sexual harassment against a fellow employee and I was subsequently fired, do I have a case?

I reported sexual harassment from co-worker 2 weeks ago. The employee that I reported is a good friend of the 2nd manager, who I’ll call “friend” manager. The next day, I told the 1st manager again and then she stated that the employee would be written up and reprimanded. The next time I worked, the “friend” manager began verbal harassment towards me, which continued until he fired me 5 days ago. He falsely accussed me of not ringing up a customers drink. I have kept notes for all the harassment situations from the manager and I know that he fired me because I reported his friend. What can I do?

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


Leizer Goldsmith / The Goldsmith Law Firm, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Federal law prohibits terminating an employee as retaliation for opposing sex discrimination, such as sexual harassment. The fact that you were reporting on behalf  of a friend who was being harassed should not get the employer off the hook. Of course, there are lots more details to be explored, so please contact qualified counsel.





IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption