I reported my car stolen and an hour later it was recovered totaled. Now the police think my boyfriend did it.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I reported my car stolen and an hour later it was recovered totaled. Now the police think my boyfriend did it.

I reported my car stolen and an hour later it was recovered totaled. The police came to my asking me all types of questions and if I have a boyfriend. I answered the questions honestly not knowing i was incriminating my boyfriend. Now the police refuse to release my car until I bring him down to the station. He is not going and I cant make him. How can I clear him if he really wasn’t involved? And why do the police leave it to me to bring him down there? If they have some sort of evidence against him couldn’t they arrest him themselves? Do one or both of us need an attorney?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your boyfriend is a suspect concerning your stolen vehicle, I suggest that not only he but you as well consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation that you are now writing about. I would have the criminal defense attorney due all the discussions with law enforcement in that you and your boyfriend will be protected from any incriminating statements that you could make since the attorney will be handling the matter for you.

I would also make a claim with your insurance company for the vehicle concerning the theft and damage.

From what you have written, the police do not have enough evidence against your boyfriend to arrest him. That is why law enforcement wants to speak with him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption