Does a new Will revoke an older one?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a new Will revoke an older one?

I replaced an older Will that stipulated upon my death that all my possesions be sold and the proceeds put in a trust to help pay for funerals for poor people through my local funeral home. I have since created a new Will specifically stating in there that I do not want to bequeath anything to that entity.

Asked on March 9, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your new will revokes the prior one.  It is a good idea, however, to destroy the original and all copies of the prior will.  You probably can also file the new will with the Probate Court in your county.  Most states allow people to file their wills.

If the funeral home has a copy of the old will, you should have your lawyer write to them advising that the will has been revoked and they should destroy any copies in their possession.  This will avoid confusion should the funeral home produce the old will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption