What to do if I rented a car, was hit from behind and the back bumper was damaged but I didn’t get all of the relevant info from the at-fault driver?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I rented a car, was hit from behind and the back bumper was damaged but I didn’t get all of the relevant info from the at-fault driver?

The back bumper was damaged but I paid extra for the damage waiver. I returned the car with the info of the man who hit me and the manager said that I was in the clear. My problem is I didn’t get all the info from the man that hit me, including his insurance info and didn’t wait for police to file a report. Now the rental company’s insurance carrier is refusing to pay the 3k repair bill to them and the rental company hired a debt collector to send me a debt letter. Am I liable for this?

Asked on February 16, 2015 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the terms of the typical rental contract, you are liable to the car rental company--they can look to get any amounts not paid by insurance from you. However, they do have to honor the terms of the damage wavier you purchased, so review the terms of it and see if you complied with your obligations; if you did, then they have to honor it regardless of whether the are getting the money from their insurer.

You also have the right to sue the person who hit you (since he hit you from behind, the law would almost always consider him to have been at fault in causing the accident) for any losses, costs, etc. which you have to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption