If I rent my home, what damages am I responsible to pay regarding a roof leak?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rent my home, what damages am I responsible to pay regarding a roof leak?

I recently had a roof leakage wish the tenant informed me that it damaged one chair and the table. Now she is asking me to pay $3000 since the dining room is discontinued. Since she has renter’s insurance, shouldn’t she call them for the damage?

Asked on January 5, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact your homeonwer's insurance as to the claim of the tenant. If the damages simply happened where you had no prior knowledge of the roof leak then you should not be liable under the law for any damage claims of the tenant.

I suggest that you advise the tenant to tender her claim to her own insurance carrier. I see no basis for the claim for damages as to the dining room issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption