If I rent and apartment and we have a real estate tax on our garbage/sewer bill, are we required to pay this?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rent and apartment and we have a real estate tax on our garbage/sewer bill, are we required to pay this?

It doesn’t specifically state on the lease; it just states we pay all utilities. However this is not a utility it is a tax that the prop owner pushed onto us. Do we legally have to pay this if not stated in the lease?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are wise to have carefully read your written lease with your landlord for the rented unit in that its terms control the obligations you owe the landlord and vice versa for the rented unit in the absence of conflicting state law.

If the monthly utility bill for garbage/sewer has a stated tax amount on it, then it seems that as part of the agreed upon payment of the utilities, you as the tenant are obligated to pay the entire monthly amount stated on the utility bill including the taxes assessed. If a separate tax bill is assessed for garbage and sewer by the utility company, then you should not be obligated to pay that amount.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption