Whatt o do if I recently signed a lease which didn’t stipulate that the landlord would be using a portion of my electric service?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatt o do if I recently signed a lease which didn’t stipulate that the landlord would be using a portion of my electric service?

When the first bill came, I was given less than what I thought I should be given. I called the electric company and was told this is between me and the landlord. A second bill came which was larger than the first and the compensation was less than expected again. After an argument, I threatened to take the balance out of my rent. He threatened to put his name on my electric bill and charge me for it.

Asked on December 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord is using a portion of your electricity that you you are paying for the unit and the lease does not allow him to do so, then the landlord is required to reimburse you the dollar value of the electricity that he or she is using. I suggest that you and the landlord sit down and try and resolve the dispute.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption