What to do if I recently received a criminal complaint for an open container?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently received a criminal complaint for an open container?

It was not my container but I was with some friends and the person whose container it was did not speak up. Therefore, we were all given a criminal complaint for an open container. It says there is just a $25 fee if I plead guilty. Are there any ramifications of this? Also, it said I must respond within 10 days, today is day 10, I am still within the time period to respond, correct?

Asked on August 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

By the time I answer ypour question you would be past the time period to respond. I suggest that you contest the the charge and see what happens in court. If the police officer fails to appear then the charge against you should be dismissed. If you plead guilty there will be a permanent conviction of you for that charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption