What to do if I want to cancel a layaway and the seller won’t refund my money?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to cancel a layaway and the seller won’t refund my money?

I recently put some furniture on layaway. I paid for half of it but I have decided that I no longer want it.

Asked on June 17, 2011 under General Practice, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to look to the agreement you signed in regards to the layaway. That agreement, and its terms will control--that is, both parties, buyer and store, have to do what the agreement says. If the agreement gives you the right to cancel and get your money back, you can do that; but if the agreement does *not* give you this right, then you can't. There is, unfortunately, no general right to receive refunds, or to cancel purchases. Therefore, you must look to the terms of the agreement, and you have exactly those rights--and ONLY those rights--which the agreement says you do. My suspicion is that you can't cancel and receive you money back, but again, there's no general answer--you need to see what *your* agreement says. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption