If I recently moved to an apartment building with an on-going bed bug problem of which I was unaware, do I have any legal grounds to end my lease?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I recently moved to an apartment building with an on-going bed bug problem of which I was unaware, do I have any legal grounds to end my lease?

Soon after moving to my current apartment I discovered that there were bed bugs. I then learned that the building had been infested within the past year. The landlord failed to mention the situation when I signed the lease. He is refusing to let me out of my lease and has even suggested that I am responsible for the problem. I would like to know if I have the right to break the lease and if I would need a lawyer to do so.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you have legal grounds to end your lease with your landlord as a result of the bed bug infestation lies within the presumed written lease that you and the landlord signed. If you have a written lease, you need to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Look carefully in the document as to grounds for you to end your lease. Possibly health or safety conditions might be mentioned. If so, you then need to contact the health department where you reside to see if the bed bug issue is a health issue and if so, possibly the landlord's failure to eliminate it could be a basis for ending your lease.

In the interim, you should consider consulting with a landlord tenant attorney regarding your situation.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption