What to do if I recently left a company because I was not awarded the compensation that I was promised when recruited?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently left a company because I was not awarded the compensation that I was promised when recruited?

I was supposed to receive 3% profit share my first 3 years of employment. then on my 3rd anniversary receive 19% ownership of the division of the company that I was responsible for. I never received any of this compensation. After I realized that the owner was not going to make good on his promises I decided to leave. I left with him still owing me for 101 hours of “paid time off” which he refused to pay unless I came and worked part time for him until he found a replacement for me. Does this sound like something that I could pursue?

Asked on November 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, your former employer is required to pay you what you are entitled to within three days of your quitting your job under the laws of all states in this country. I suggest that you write the former employer a letter demanding what your are entitled to by a certain date and if not paid, then your options are to consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with the local department of labor to try and resolve the matter that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption