What to do if I recently hired a moving company to move my belongings but have since discovered an entire jewelry box has gone missing?

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently hired a moving company to move my belongings but have since discovered an entire jewelry box has gone missing?

The contents worth over 1K in value. I have gone through everything looking for it 3 times over and I’m positive it has been stolen from the movers. I’ve used this company before with no problems. Now I’m completely devastated. What can I do legally?

Asked on December 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can contact the police and file criminal charges against the movers for larceny.  Larceny is the trespassory taking and carrying away of the personal property of another with the intent to permanently deprive.

You can also file a lawsuit against the movers for conversion.  Conversion is an unauthorized act which deprives the owner of her property permanently or for an indefinite time.  Conversion is the unauthorized assumption of the right of ownership over the personal property of another to the exclusion of the owner's rights.  In other words, conversion is theft.

Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for conversion) would be  a forced sale, which is the value of the jewelry box and its contents.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption