What can be done about an incompetent hospital worker who caused me pain?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about an incompetent hospital worker who caused me pain?

I recently had surgery on my Achilles. When the nerve block wore off I was in extreme no matter how much pain medication I took. My cast on my leg (placed there by the hospital employee) felt extremely tight. At first I thought it was normal but really began to think it was the cause of my pain. I called my doctor’s office the next morning and scheduled a visit with the office caster there. They removed the cast and I had instant relief; it was not wrapped properly. The castor at my doctor’s office then told me that they have received numerous complaints and the hospital castor had no formal training. The doctor’s complaints to the hospital was met with deaf ears.

Asked on March 20, 2015 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The hospital could be sued for negligence because an employer is liable for the negligence of its employee which occurs within the course and scope of employment.

Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable hospital would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  The hospital's negligence would be negligent hiring and negligent supervision of its employee.

Prior to filing a lawsuit against the hospital, it may be possible to settle the case with the hospital's insurance carrier.  Your claim filed with the hospital's insurance carrier should include your medical bills and medical reports.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

If the case is settled with the hospital's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.

If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the hospital's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the hospital.

If the case is NOT settled with the hospital's insurance carrier, your lawsuit for negligence must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption