If I recently got into a fight with someone and have damage to my teeth in the amount of $4000, how can I make this person pay?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I recently got into a fight with someone and have damage to my teeth in the amount of $4000, how can I make this person pay?

We were both minors at a party. He came up to me and punched me in the face. How can I make him (his family) pay without filling a small claims lawsuit?

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can ask for payment, but there is no way to make him (or his family) pay, if they choose not to, without suing him. Furthermore, to recover, you would have to show that 1) he was at fault in injuring you and 2) that you were not also at fault, since your ability to recover compensation would be reduced by your own fault. Therefore, if he attacked you--initiated the fight--you could likely recover compensation. But if you attacked him, you almost certainly could not--the attacker in a fight almost never can receive compensation for his injuries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption