What can I do if I recently got diagnosed with strep throat and was prescribed an antibiotic that I was allergic to?

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I recently got diagnosed with strep throat and was prescribed an antibiotic that I was allergic to?

From day one I was having side affects and, by day 2, I was having a full blown allergic reaction. It was a walk-in clinic that I went to and I specifically told them several times that I was allergic to penicillin and all medications in that family. Due to this adverse reaction I missed 2 days of work.

Asked on October 3, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Massachusetts


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless they prescribed you penicillin or a close relative and lied to you about it and/or gave it to you directly rather than prescribing it, there is no claim for medical malpractice.  People who are allergic to one antibiotic often times develop allergies to other antibiotics over time.  A doctor can not know what additional allegies may have developed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption