I received an IRS notice in the mail. What should I do?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Do not ignore it. The notice may simply state that what you reported on your tax return does not match what your employer reported. Or it may remind you that payment is due. Regardless of what the notice says, you must address the questions raised, and should do so in writing.

If you do not understand the notice, consider bringing it to the attention of a tax professional immediately. You do not want to risk loosing valuable legal rights and/or having forced collection action waged against you. After the requisite amount of notices, the IRS may take your wages, bank accounts, and other property.