What to do if I received an electric shut off notice on my home because my ex-husband rented a house and did not pay the electric bill for his residence?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received an electric shut off notice on my home because my ex-husband rented a house and did not pay the electric bill for his residence?

We were separated at the time he moved to his rental. The utility company has added his unpaid bill to my account, and plans to shut off my electricity. I have contacted their customer service, as has my ex, to get these accounts separated. Can they legally shut of my power? I have a lengthy record of paying my own bills on time.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Usually invoices for utilities are tied to the location where the utilities are being provided and not the the specific customer. If you are being charged for an electrical invoice of your former spouse at a location that he used utilities that he did not pay for different from where you are located and you are being threatened with having your utilities shut off if you do not pay his bill, you are under no obligation to do so.

You need to call the utility company about this followed up by a strong letter advising that it engaging in unfair business practices and if it turns off your utilities because of non-payment of your former spouse, it does so at its own risk.

You should lodge a complaint against the utility company with your state's public utilties department which is in charge of overseeing public utilities to make sure they comply with state regulations and laws.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption