What to do if I received a Summons and Complaint by regular first class mail instead of registered mail?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received a Summons and Complaint by regular first class mail instead of registered mail?

I received a Summons and Complaint by regular first class mail. I responded to the it after 21 days because the Summons says that if served by mail I have 28 days. When I checked MI Court Rules it mentions registered mail. Even if the Summons and Complaint was delievered by regular mail, do the 28 days in filing an answer apply?

Asked on January 25, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Service of a Summons and Complaint (known as the "pleadings" in a case) is different in each state.  It is generally referred to as the state procedural laws.   But there is something important for you to add to your response (called an "Answer") as soon as you can here.  You need to go and ask the court to "amend" your answer to include what is known as an "affirmative defense" of "lack of personal jurisdiction because the summons and complaint were not properly served upon you."  You can generally amend a pleading within a certain number of days of serving it on the other party or filing it with the court.  In New York it is 20.  And do not "waive" proper service if you are asked.  The court will then determine the validity of the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption