What can I do to fight a ticket that I received for a speeding in a school zone, if the school sign was not readily visible?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to fight a ticket that I received for a speeding in a school zone, if the school sign was not readily visible?

It was on a main road on which I turned right from exiting freeway. I was going 34 mph in a 20 mph zone. There was no sign until further down the road. Also, there was hardly any traffic and I did not notice anyone driving slower than me.I do not live in the area and was there for training. Is there anyway to plead reasonable doubt since I do not live there and I had no previous knowledge of a sign that you cannot see until further down the road. The ticket is for speeding in school zone but it was not marked for being in a school zone.

Asked on September 10, 2015 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You best defense is to make a video recording of the area that you drove and stopping at the point where the sign was visible.  You should also take pictures of the signs.  This will be your evidence that you didn't commit the offense.  If you weren't in a school zone, then you shouldn't have been ticketed for speeding in a school zone.  With your evidence in hand, you'll be able to show the prosecutor or jury that you are not liable to the alleged offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption