If I received a “Scheduling Order” for a final hearing on an uncontested divorce and live in another state, do I need to attend?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a “Scheduling Order” for a final hearing on an uncontested divorce and live in another state, do I need to attend?

The Scheduling Order does state that all parties are ordered to appear, but I have been reassured by the Plaintiff that her legal advisor said I do not need to be present. What is my legal obligation?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not one of those trusting parties to a litigation unless I have something in writing, like a stipulation in a case.  So I would say to err on the side of appearing.  What you received was part of the whole divorce process in New jersey.  It is a Case Management Conference where a scheduling order will be entered in to by the parties.  Even though the matter is uncontested the court may indeed schedule the discover warranted.  If you are not present then you are subject to the time constraints and appearance dates listed in the order.  Many time orders are entered in to ex parte - with only one side present.  But it is risky.  It may be a good conference to attend and to speak with your case manager and explain that it is uncontested and that it is difficult to appear all the time.  If the paperwork is going to be submitted as agreed do you need t appear at every conference?  Can you appear via phone conference?  Be up front at the start.  It will put you in a better light.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption