What to do if I received a letter stating that I was being reviewed for public assistance fraud?

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received a letter stating that I was being reviewed for public assistance fraud?

Do I need a lawyer and what is the typical process?

Asked on February 3, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Public Assistance or Food Stamp fraud is the intentional misrepresentation, concealment or withholding of information in order to get any, or increased, public assistance or food stamp benefits.  If you intentionally sign any papers (such as an application for benefits, a questionnaire, or recertification papers) in which the information in the papers is not true, you have committed fraud.  This is true even if you never end up receiving any public assistance or food stamps at all.

Based upon what you have written about, you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption