If I received a citation for shoplifting under $50 and have a court date, is there any way for this to not be on my permanent record or being dismissed?

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a citation for shoplifting under $50 and have a court date, is there any way for this to not be on my permanent record or being dismissed?

It is my first offense.

Asked on April 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, Alaska


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Every court and proscutor are slightly different in the programs they offer for handling first time offenders-- but many will offere programs for conditional dismissals or diversion programs.  A conditional dismissal is where you offer to do things in exchange for the prosecutor dropping the charges against you.  In your case, you would want to offer to pay restitution and to complete an anti-theft course--assuming that you are guilty.  If you are not guilty and there is no evidence that you are-- then you should fight the charges.

A word of caution though-- most defendants charged with lower level crimes will walk into a court room and give many details to the prosecutor assigned to their case.  Basically, they are giving the state evidence to use against them.  Considering that this is your first offense, you may want to hire an attorney to speak for you--- because their statements won't be quoted against you if your case gets forced to a trial.  I always recommend that people find attorneys that are experienced in the court in which they are appearing....because they will usually have the inside scoop on the programs to help get your case resolved.  Once the criminal case is resolved, then you can start looking at how to get your charges expunged or non-disclosed-- depending on how your criminal charges were resolved. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption