If I received a certified letter that I need to move my swing set to comply with covenants, what happens if I do not comply?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a certified letter that I need to move my swing set to comply with covenants, what happens if I do not comply?

There are 3-4 other houses with the same set up we have and they are not being targeted. I feel like I am being singled out. There are covenants that are enforced for some but not others is this allowed? What kind of action can they take against me if I take no action? Also, my wife and I are now feeling harassed and she is intimidated and at times scared to go outside as contractors drive slowly by the house and will pull into the driveway and park for a minute. We have since put the house on the market.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) If you have violated covenants, you could be sued for a court order directing you to remove the swing set, as well as for monetary compensation for any costs or damages caused by your breach of the covenant.

2) There is no law that says that covenants must generally be enforced even-handedly; however, that said, certain kinds of discrimination in regards to housing (such as racial discrimination) are illegal. If you think you are being targeted for a discrminatory reason, you may have a legal claim and should consult with an attorney to explore your options.

3) If it is your driveway (not a public or common drive) no one may park in it without your permission. If contractors do, try taking a picture (e.g. using a cell phone camera) and then calling the police to report them for trespassing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption