If I rear-ended a person going approximately 10-15 mph yesterday, should I tell the police and should I inform my insurance company?

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rear-ended a person going approximately 10-15 mph yesterday, should I tell the police and should I inform my insurance company?

No one was injured and there was only minor body damage to the cars. We exchanged our auto insurance information and both decided not to call the police. The person that I had hit said that he was going to make a claim. Does my insurance company cover the other person’s damages? What should I do if I don’t want or need anything repaired on my car?

Asked on September 25, 2014 under Accident Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although the laws vary from state to state regarding whether or not a police report is required, since this was a minor, non-injury accident, contacting the police is probably unnecessary.  The police usually won't respond to a minor fender-bender non-injury accident.

Your insurance company will cover the damages (cost of repairs) to the car you hit.  Since the other driver is going to file a claim with your insurance company, it would be advisable to inform your insurance company of the accident.

Since you were at fault in the accident, your insurance company won't pay for repairs to your car.  You said that you don't want the damage to your car repaired; so, you don't need to do anything regarding that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption