What to do if I rear-ended a car in an accident a year ago a now am being sued?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I rear-ended a car in an accident a year ago a now am being sued?

Can the plaintiff take my house?

Asked on October 19, 2013 under Accident Law, New Hampshire


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were the one who was rear-ended, then your insurance company will fight this fight for you.  I assume you have notified them of the lawsuit.  Let them handle it.  Even in the unlikely event that plaintiff wins against you, your insurance will pay up to whatever your policy limit is for liability.  And even if you have no insurance, the homestead exemption will probably protect your house from any judgment entered against you.  If you have no insurance, you should seek out a personal injury attorney who will bring a counterclaim against the plaintiff.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption