If I’m being sued because I rear-ended a car, do I turn this over to my insurer or do I need representation?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m being sued because I rear-ended a car, do I turn this over to my insurer or do I need representation?

I ran into the back of a car at a stop sign after we both stopped. I proceeded to go but the car a head didn’t. This happened almost 3 years ago. Now I have been served papers stating the injured party is suing me, not an insurer, for some 15k. These are lost wages, care, etc.

Asked on August 30, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The injured party does NOT sue your insurer--the insurer did nothing wrong; rather, the injured party sues you, the person that they believe  to be at  fault, and your insurer then, as per its policy obligations, should step in to defend you and/or pay on your behalf (at least up to policy limits).

Your first step is to notify your insurer--they should defend or settle the case. If they fail to do so, or if the claim exceeds your policy limits, then you may need to retain your own attorney (and, if the insurer did fail to do its duty, you may have a lawsuit against your insurer for breach of contract). But as long as they are handling the claim and resolve it for equal to or less than your policy limits, they should resolve it for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption