What should I do I quit my job almost a month ago but I still haven’t received my final paycheck?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do I quit my job almost a month ago but I still haven’t received my final paycheck?

The company paid weekly and it was under 1099. I called the company twice and the receptionist said that the boss just had to sign it. I asked her if I can come in and get it and she said no. I have an employee who still works there and they received their paycheck.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were an employee, in Colorado, if you quit, then you must be paid by the next regularly scheduled payday (i.e. by when you would have been paid next, had you not quit).

If you were an independent contractor, which you may have been if you were paid on a 1099 basis, then the law about when employees are due pay does not apply to you; you must be paid as per the agreement (written or oral) between you and the employer as to when you would be paid. In the absence of an explicit agreement on that subject, you should be paid in accordance with the reasonable expectations of the two parties (you and the employer), which in the absence of terms to the contrary, may be derived from when and how you were paid previously--e.g. if paid biweekly, you should have received your final paycheck at the next biweekly pay period.

If you are not paid when due as either employee or independent contractor, you may sue your employer for your pay. Small claims court, where you can act as your own attorney, cases move relatively quickly, and the filing fee is low, may be a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption