What can a former employee do if their employer is lying about why the employee left their employ?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can a former employee do if their employer is lying about why the employee left their employ?

I quit a job for personal reasons. Now my ex-boss is telling employees and customers that I was fired for selling drugs. This is completely untrue and it’s ruining my reputation what are my options?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may sue the former employer and the ex-boss, seeking both monetary compensation and a court order barring them from doing this. From what you write, you are being defamed. Defamation is when person A publically--which means to any third parties, like employees and customers--makes an untrue statement of fact about person B which damages person B's reputation. Being falsely accused of having been fired for selling drugs is an untrue statement of fact which damages your reputation. You should consult with a personal injury attorney about his.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption