I purchased property for tax forclosure and the previous owner wont move. How do I get them out?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I purchased property for tax forclosure and the previous owner wont move. How do I get them out?

I purchased property in a tax sale. The previous owner refuses to move. How do I have them removed?

Asked on December 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You bring a lawsuit for "ejectment": ejectment is basically "eviction for nontenants"--that is, it's how you legally remove someone who is not a rent-paying tenant and otherwise does not have any legal right to stay there, like a former owner. In the lawsuit, you will show that you are now the owner of the property and will get a court order directing that the other people move by a certain date. That order is something enforceable by law enforcement (e.g. by the sheriff) at need, such as if they do not go when ordered. 
Ejectment actions do take several months (there are ways to expedite matters, if you can show the other people are damaging, etc. your property) and they are procedurally more complex than "regular" evictions. You are strongly advised to retan an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption